Insurance can be complicated and time-consuming. It is often the last thing you want to deal with in a day and the first thing to get pushed to tomorrow’s to-do list. Despite the anxiety insurance can cause, it is important to protect your career, practice and income. That’s where the AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program comes in to play.
Together, Lockton Affinity and the AAO ensure the AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program continues to meet the ever-changing needs of members like you, and we have recapped it in one, helpful blog.
AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program 101: Program Background and Insurance Options
To make this program run smoothly, there are multiple parties involved—AAO, Lockton Affinity and New York Life Insurance Company.
The idea for the program started with AAO. Like the AAO provides clinical insight, practice management resources and career advice to support member orthodontists, they understand the importance of protecting orthodontists and practices with insurance. In executing this program, they need a program administrator and carrier partners.
As administrator of the program, Lockton Affinity works directly with the insurance carrier, New York Life. New York Life underwrites and provides policies and Lockton Affinity offers a single point of contact for all your insurance needs, including detailed policy information, dedicated insurance representatives and claim filing services.
Through the partnerships of AAO, Lockton Affinity and New York Life, the program is able to offer several policies to AAO members, including:
- Disability insurance—Helps protect your income as an orthodontist should you become disabled and unable to work as an orthodontist.*
- Student Disability insurance—Available at no cost to AAO student members, this policy helps protect your income should you become totally disabled while in school and unable to work as an orthodontist. It also offers loan repayment up to $200,000. Upon graduation, you can maintain this coverage by paying the required premium.
- Life insurance—Helps provide financial stability for your loved ones in your absence.*
- Critical Illness insurance—Helps provide support and covers associated healthcare costs if you experience an unexpected critical illness.*
- Group Business/Professional Overhead Expense—Helps cover business expenses such as rent, utilities, employees’ salaries and more in the event a covered disability keeps you from working.*
- Business Owner’s Policy—Includes both property and general liability to protect your building and equipment, as well as coverage for third party claims of personal injury and property damage.
- Employment Practices Liability—Covers costs associated with employees’ claims of discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination.
- Cyber Liability—Provides coverage against the high costs of recovering from theft or breach of client data.
- Workers’ Compensation—Protects your organization from the lost wages and medical costs you may have to pay to an employee who was injured on the job.
AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program 101: Applying for Coverage
Applying for coverage through the AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program is simple.
Complete an online application for:
- Group Disability Income Insurance
- Group Level Term Life Insurance (Select 10- or 20-year insurance)
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Group Critical Illness Insurance
- Group Business Overhead Expense Insurance
Download and complete the PDF application for:
- Business Owner’s Policy
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Property coverage
- General Liability Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance and
- Commercial Auto Insurance
Email completed applications to [email protected] or your dedicated insurance representative.
For Cyber Liability Insurance, contact Lockton Affinity at (844) 893-9888 or [email protected].
AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program 101: Personal Insurance Representatives
With your coverage comes a team of highly trained insurance professionals from Lockton Affinity who understand the risks and exposures you face as an orthodontist. From your first inquiry or complimentary risk evaluation, you receive best-in-class customer service.
Once your request for coverage is approved, Lockton Affinity will assign you a dedicated account manager. This representative will support you and become familiar with your practice and insurance needs.
As your needs or wants change, this representative will guide you through adjusting your coverage. Your dedicated representative can also issue certificates of insurance and help navigate the claim process.
AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program 101: Filing a Claim
Incidents and claims happen, often when you least expect them. While you can’t always prevent a claim, you can control how you respond to one.
The most important aspect of filing a claim is timeliness. Depending on the type of claim, the longer you wait to report, the more difficult, costly and stressful it may be to resolve.
At first indication of an incident or claim, contact your Lockton Affinity representative. They will help you file a claim and walk you through the process step by step.
Through the AAO-Endorsed Insurance Program 101, you have a general guide to the insurance program and how it works for members like you. If you have specific questions or want help determining which coverage you need, contact Lockton Affinity.